Libraries all over the world participate in Interlibrary Loan (ILL) as a cooperative effort to provide articles, books, and other materials to researchers, students, and others. This service is offered to Library cardholders for free.
The ILL service is intended to provide materials on specialized topics, or older, out of print materials.
If you are looking for a recently released book, e-book, DVD, or CD that is not currently in our catalog, please use the Recommend A Title form.
We will attempt to fill all requests that comply with the guidelines below, but please note there are some libraries that may charge a fee for their services and the cardholder will be responsible for paying the fee.
What can be borrowed through ILL?
- Books, Large Print Books, Sheet Music, Microfilm and Magazine/Journal Articles not owned by the New Orleans Public Library
What cannot be borrowed through ILL?
- Titles that are less than 2 years old
- Whole magazines
- Audio-visual materials
- Most genealogical material
Other ILL information:
- There is a limit of 5 active requests for adult/student accounts and 3 active requests for juveniles accounts
- Accounts with fines in excess of $20 cannot utilize ILL
- The ILL loan period is set by the lender of the item(s) requested
- Overdue fines are $1 per day for each ILL item
- All ILL items must be returned to the library in person and must not be put into a book drop
- To renew an ILL item, call the ILL office (504 596-2572) at least 3 days prior to the due date
- A single renewal is usually (but not always) allowed